It smiles!!!

One thing that I have been (impatiently) waiting on is the appearance of the non-gas based, non-dream state smile.  That golden moment when your little person looks at you and just BEAMS.   I was especially curious, because everything I had read indicated that it would be around the 6 week mark of life that this would occur.  I think that I have mentioned before, but one of the main things I am fascinated with in the world of the preemie is milestones... which milestones will be met based on birth date, and which milestones will be met based on due date.

Of course, this one is based on Due Date.  Now, I admit, every now and then our boy would break out in a grin as if to say he had a secret that no one else knew... but you couldn't really engage him to make it happen.  It was solely on his terms.

The other morning, *melt*, it happened and I just about broke into song.
This is how it started...






Holy cuteness.  I mean, really.  That was just such a great start to the day.  And the smiles just keep coming now!  I LOVE IT! 



We have officially determined the day that I go back to work.  I debated for quite some time about what the appropriate date would be.  Technically, my back to work date is supposed to be November 21st.  No, that's not a typo.  November 21st.  (If I were still at Dell next week would be my last week with him!)  I was fretting about the amount of time, plus I have to admit, there is a bit of guilt in working for a company for 7 working days and then taking advantage of being paid for not working for oh, about 5 months.  But I'm handling it okay...  ;)   Anyway, the universe intervened and thank my Libra stars, it helped me to come up with a decision.  There's a leadership meeting in Mountain View and my team will be gathering from around the country and the globe.  I figure that there is NO better way to get back into the swing of things than to get to know the people I will be working with and talking strategy.  So November 11th it is.  The nice thing is that this leaves me with a handful of days that I can bank and take anytime before July 3.   I have asked my boss to hold me accountable for taking this time.   Oh, and if you didn't catch this, this means that not only am I going back to work, but I will be out of town Monday through Friday... Ben loves me.  He really does.   But I do good for him... see?


We are still taking Axel with us as much as possible while we can take advantage of his laid back attitude and lack of mobility. :)   He went to the Mayweather Fight... I think this pic looks like he's getting into the spirit... 

But who am I kidding?  He slept the entire time.  All four fights.  All 48 rounds.  Sawed logs.

We have taken him to see a Texas game (on TV, we aren't that brave yet)

He started out pumped but clearly he was enthused by the prize performance of the Texas Longhorns.  Ahem.

This next pic is no reflection of where I took him, but just exemplifies how cute he is... even as a monster.  (thanks for the cute monster outfit, Auntie Laura!)


I was looking at pictures earlier and this is a great example of how round... I mean healthy our little man is getting.   :)  These pictures were taken about six weeks apart.  The one on the left was taken on 7/31. On the right, 9/16.  He's getting SO BIG!!!  I weighed him yesterday and he was 10.8 lbs.  Go Axel!


 Another great visual.  The one on the left, 7/24.  On the right, 8/26... below, 9/17.  He grows by leads and bounds!

Amazing.  Truly amazing.

In non-Axel related news, (OMG YES I AM STRAYING FROM THE SUBJECT) some of you may know of my involvement in an event called Puppy Mill Awareness Day.   This event is in its fourth year and occurs on Sunday, September 22nd.   Well, typically my friend Courtney is the brave soul who does news interviews - however, she was out of town and needed to rely on our friend Tammy and me to do an interview yesterday morning.   Oh, and I was asked to bring Delilah.  <insert maniacal laughter here>  Well, I decided that I needed to give it the old college try.... and packed up Delilah about 5:30am yesterday morning to take her to the news station.  We got into the green room and she was doing great, until she proceeded to try and sit on my head.  There is nothing quite as alarming as having a great dane's butt in your face as it tries to sit.  Luckily she maneuvered around me and ended up sitting BEHIND me in the chair.

One of the production techs came out to see this sight and assured me that the interview location actually has a couch that we'd be sitting on. This gave me some sense of comfort, as I knew that she'd be okay on a couch, securely between Tammy and me.  You can see the interview here.

http://www.myfoxaustin.com/category/236454/good-day 

In closing, we have had the great fortune of having Ben's brother, John, in town for a few months.  Unfortunately many (not all) good things must come to an end and John is leaving us for a new adventure on Sunday morning.  He has brought so much love and light to us while here and his presence will be greatly missed.  I am SO thankful that he was able to be here to meet this nephew.  Uncle John, safe travels and know you are loved. XOXO!



Comments

  1. What a wonderful blog!! Axel is blessed. By the way,Delila and you looked great on the news. She sure got a good plug on her art! Love ya'll...Grammy

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Two steps forward, one step back...

Feeding

He's here!!!