He's here!!!

We have so many amazing people who are asking us about how Axel is doing as well as mom and dad that we felt it would probably be beneficial to put up a blog to share updates about how he's doing.   We will try our hardest to keep it updated and yes, there will be pictures. :)

For those of you who don't know the story, Axel was due on August 9th.  I have had the most boring pregnancy in the world of pregnancies, pretty much no symptoms except for an expanding belly and a doctor who kept telling me there was a baby in there.   I went to the doctor on July 2nd, and everything checked out normal, no reason to feel that anything that was on the verge of happening.   In fact, I told her that we a.) had our hospital tour scheduled for Saturday, July 6, and b.) in the next few weeks we had a class we were going to take on baby care. 

My husband, on the other hand, was absolutely certain that I was going to have this kid early.  I think he did this.  He already asked about paternity leave (to which his boss and me both scoffed and said, "You have time, Bernfeld"!)

July 3rd rolls around and I had a 9am meeting.  I was taking Ben to work that morning because his truck was in the shop (he hit a deer... no worries, the deer was fine, but the truck not so much).  Time: 8:30. 

We are in the driveway and let's just say that I felt something out of the ordinary which was questionable... I went running in the house and quickly figured out that my water had potentially broken.   I came back outside and told Ben he needed to call his boss to tell him "he's going to be late" because I need to call the doctor.  I call the doctor... I talk to the nurse and explain that I was there yesterday, but if I didn't know better I would think that my water broke... to which she said, "it probably did."  Panic not quite setting in, I was calm enough to email my morning appointments and tell them I'd be rescheduling.   I call my boss and leave a vm saying, "I'll be in this afternoon, just had to run to the doctor".  Right.

We get to the doctor, get checked out and are informed, "Well, you are having a baby today".  OMG. 

We're taken next door to see the ultrasound doctor who tells me what I already knew, Baby B is still breech so looks like a C-Section is happening in a few hours.  Uh, okay.

Call my boss again, "Um, Melissa, I lied.  I'm not coming in this afternoon, I'm having a C Section instead, call me."

And we go across the street.  They are waiting for us, and I go straight into Pre-Op.  At this point, everything is still completely surreal.  My brain was not accepting this yet.  I mean, it's not August.  It's barely the first of July!  Brain lost out on this fight.  However, brain did say to Ben, (for those who don't know, we were debating between the names Lincoln and Axel) - "Ben, in my opinion, a Lincoln would do what he's supposed to do and follow the rules... an Axel is going to march to the beat of his own drum and break some of those rules.  I think he's telling us he's an Axel."  So really, Baby B ended up choosing his name.  Not us.

Even during the C Section it was completely surreal... I recall thinking, OMG, this is really happening right now.  Wow.  ;)  I got to see little man briefly, and Ben went with him straight into the NICU.     Initial stats were that he weighed four pounds, 12 ounces and was 17 inches long.  Official birth time: July 3rd, 2013, at 2:22pm.   First pics:




I didn't see Ben again for a few hours, I officially became an afterthought but that's quite okay.  Had I the choice of moving my legs or sitting with Axel for hours, I would have chosen the latter - but unfortunately I got stuck not moving my legs. During this time, they had him on oxygen and on a warming bed to help him to maintain his temperature. 

Happy Dad:


I finally had the opportunity to go visit him on Thursday, super sweet little guy.  By the time I got there, he had already been able to maintain his temperature so they removed him from the warming bed and had dropped the amount of oxygen he was being given.  :) 

Our first post operating room meeting:


Comments

  1. This is so sweet! Please don't stop posting these!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great blog. I knew he was early--my little man arrived early, too. The NICU nurses rock and will get him on a fantastic schedule for you! The picture of you visiting with Axel the first time brought tears to my eyes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love NICU nurses. :) And yes, we are definitely taking advantage of the pre-made schedule!!!

      Delete
  3. Oh bless you for sharing your birth story. I really wanted to know the details but didn't want to pester you for the story. I laugh at what you wrote b/c Emily was a breech baby, refused to be turned, and pretty much breaks all the rules too. Axel is such a precious blessing. I hope you will keep updating this blog. It will be such a gift to all who love you and for Axel to look at in the future. We will be praying for him and for your c-section recovery. Love you and love this blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Feel free to ask anything at anytime, Shell... no pestering ever. I remember her being breech! Stubborn little thing... and thanks for the sweet words on the blog, I'm going to try my best to keep it up to date! Love you too!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Two steps forward, one step back...

Feeding