And we're back!!! Introducing Bridget Grace Bernfeld!

I used to be really good about keeping the blog up to date.  Really, I was.  In fact, I really enjoy taking the time to sit down and chat through what's going on.  It's great to sit back and peruse the previous postings, as I used this as the primary medium to update friends and family on the adventures with Axel.

Well, now we have new adventures to share and thanks to the generous maternity leave offered by my employer, I have some time to get going on this again.  Guilt plays into this as well, as I would hate to have this great chronicle of Axel's development and nothing on our new addition.

New addition?  What?



Well, in case you missed it, we welcomed Bridget Grace Bernfeld into the family on September 5, 2017.  She was born at 10:41am and weighed in at 7 lbs, 1.5 oz and 19 inches long.  I'm biased, but I think she's just beautiful.


I had a C Section with Bridget, as I did with Axel.  However, this one I knew was coming.  The experience was really interesting to compare.  I thought I would have been more nervous driving into the hospital, but I was so excited to meet her at this point that the excitement overtook any nerves.  Everything went smoothly and it was really nice to have her with me in the hospital room versus having to spend countless hours in the NICU.  I won't lie, though, it made me nervous - last time around we drove home with an empty car seat.  This time, it was ON.  And so far we've all done well! 

One of the top questions I have received is "How is Axel doing"?  So I think it's important to take some time to talk about my little man.  

Axel has been really excited about becoming a big brother.  He talks about it A LOT.  He would tell anyone who would listen about the fact that he is a big brother.  And he honestly had quite a lot to do with the fact that Baby Sister's name is Bridget.   We were floating names around and he just latched onto that one.  Anytime we would throw out an alternative... "NO!  Baby Sister's name is BRIDGET!"  

Well, okay then.  

Axel was convinced that my stomach was essentially a huge egg and that there was going to be a day where my stomach cracked and out came baby sister.  One day we were watching a movie and he was on my lap.  I can't recall if my stomach growled or if she started to kick; but he turned around, wide eyed and said "Is it cracking???"    The day of Bridget's arrival, I went into his room as he woke up that morning... "Buddy!!!  Guess what today is???"  His eyes got really big and he got a huge smile on his face... "SHOW AND TELL?!?!!"  

No.  Not Show and Tell.

"No, buddy, not show and tell - baby sister's going to come today!"
"TODAY?!!?!?!"
"Yes!  Today!!!"
"We're going to the doctor?!?!?"
"Well, mommy's going to the doctor and they are going to help us to welcome baby sister."

And so we left and off he went to school.  


Brittany with Peyton Faye
One thing that I think was a help in his transition to big brotherdom was the fact that his sister, Brittany, had a gorgeous baby girl, Peyton Faye, on August 16th.



Proud Grandparents, GP and Mimi
Brittany with sister Bridget in right arm and baby Peyton in left!






Proud GP

Axel checking out his new niece


Now although it's been helpful that Axel had some idea of what to expect with a baby, it's also been a little confusing for him to figure out which baby is Peyton and which is Bridget.  We're getting there, though.

We debated, but we went ahead and had Axel come to the hospital on day one to meet Bridget.  He acknowledged that yes, this baby was Baby Sister aka Bridget - but he wanted absolutely nothing to do with her.  "Axel, do you want to see Baby Sister?"  "No, not right now".  Okay.

The second day he came, he got a little bit closer... 



The day we brought Bridget home: 


Then, on September 10th, he decided he wanted to snuggle with Baby Sister.  He went running upstairs to get Sleep (his blanket) and grabbed one for me as well, came darting back downstairs, handed me a blanket and put his on the couch, and then got in position for a good snuggle. I'm not going to lie... my heart may have burst a little bit at this point.

So now Miss Bridget is a week old.  Her brother has decided she's not so bad and always ensures she's kept happy.  She cries, he makes sure we are aware and tries to figure out how to make her feel better... "Mom, you need to feed her.  Mom, here's a song for her to make her feel better".    She is a great sleeper, and unlike her brother's first week, she's quite the eater.   We're already in a pretty good groove and all are doing well.  The cameras are blowing up with pictures, and the house is blowing up with pink.  Ha.   

Back to the hospital stay; in an unexpected twist:
On Thursday, a friend of mine scheduled to have a C Section a week after me came by with her little boy and nanny to meet Bridget.  She wasn't feeling too hot and had been to the doctor, who confirmed that she was indeed scheduled for the 12th at that point in time.  Then, a few hours later, I received a text from her saying that she was heading back to the hospital and was having her baby that night.  She ended up welcoming a baby boy into this world just before midnight on September 7th, and Bridget and I were given the okay to go down and visit her in her room.  (Hospitals aren't all bad when you have friends staying down the hall!)   
Baby Miles and Baby Bridget

Homegirl had her first pediatrician appointment yesterday, all went well, and she got rave reviews from the doctor.  She also looked ridiculously cute. 


The only thing somewhat outstanding is a hashtag.   I know, I know... the things we think about these days.  But her brother has two.  She needs at least one - I'm a Libra.  I have to be fair.  

So far, suggestions have included:
#buildingbridges
#bridgetbsdiaries
#bridgetsbridges
#bunb
#besottedwithbridget
#blessedbybridget
#bridgetoftraviscounty

What other ideas do y'all have?  This is important stuff! 

In closing, here's some further cuteness otherwise known as Bridget Grace.


Thanks for taking the time to read. :)  We'll be back soon!









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Feeding

Two steps forward, one step back...

He's here!!!