Axel makes it better.

Full disclosure, I am starting this blog on a more somber note than usual, but I promise I will bring in levity with super cute pics.

We lost our cat, Espresso, yesterday after he had a brief battle with cancer.  He was a really, really spectacular cat.  Just cool.  One of those cats that even non-cat people liked.  We got him when he was an itty bitty kitten - Ben found him when he used to install fireplaces back in the summer of 1999.  He found this cute little Siamese (mix, I'm sure) hanging out in one of the fireplaces he was working on and brought him home.  The rest was history.  Ben actually had a woman offer him $500 for him when he took him to get neutered because he was such a pretty thing... Ben said no. :)



I was feeding Axel last night at 3am and of course my mind was going, thinking about how to best articulate how long he had been a part of our lives,.  I know that sometimes non-animal people have a hard time comprehending how people can get so upset over the loss of something like a cat or a dog... but think of it this way.

When we got Espresso:
- I was in my first job out of college
- I had just gotten my first cell phone, which was the size of a brick - and the number I still use today. :)
- Brittany, now a sophomore in college, was in Kindergarten
- Jasmyn, my niece who is now in high school... wasn't even born yet
- Digital cameras were not yet the norm, nor were laptops.  And forget social media, what is that?!?!
- AOL was still cool and people were just starting to get into instant messaging.
- Ben and I had just moved in together into an apartment at the Riata
- I was still driving my Honda Del Sol... oh yes, don't be jealous.
- The Euro was born and the Panama Canal was returned to Panama.


That's a LONG TIME AGO, people.   Anyway, we had found out that he had cancer two days before I went to California for my Google orientation.  The doctor told us he could have a week, he could have a month... the kitty man made it over two months, enough that he was able to meet this fine young man.  He absolutely makes everything better.
Like a Boss.
Anyway, I wont harp on it, but it's a sad fact and I had to pay him a little tribute.  So thanks for placating me.

On to happier topics.

Axel!

He's awesome and amazing and all that jazz.  He finally is fitting into Newborn clothes! It's fun to put him into some of the awesome things that people have given him.  He rocks the tie, seriously.
The men in my life... 
He had such a great time with all the family that was here.  I don't think that he ever touched the ground between Brittany, Lauren, Ginny, my mom and Laura.


Needless to say, now that we don't have a ton of company, he has decided that he doesn't like to be left unattended.  So we get a LOT of cuddle time. :)   And lots of time for selfies.

He is actually eight weeks today - will be two months next Tuesday!  It's amazing how time flies.  One of my friends knows someone who had a preemie recently and she was asking me if I had something I planned on doing with his clothes.  Of course I want to give to someone who can use them, as preemie clothes are NOT easy to find.   So I sat down the other day and went through his drawer and took out all the things that this little man had already outgrown.  It was amazing to see how LITTLE the things were that he was in and how quickly he had moved on!   Kind of made me a little sad to see that, but it is awesome to see him growing and becoming stronger!

Axel is VERY social, we try and get out at least once a day if at all possible, be it to a friend's house, to lunch, brunch, social gatherings, walking the trails... it's good for all parties to get him out and about and he's really good in these settings so I'm taking advantage of it while I can.  I think that one of my favorite encounters was with a certain admirer of his.  She has been an avid follower of his blog and has been constantly sending wishes of support to us.  She finally got to meet him in person and I swear, it was love at first sight.  My little man is in love with an older woman.   After keeping her distance for a while, she finally held him and rocked him... he was immediate pudding in her hand and it was incredibly sweet. I'm not saying any names, but hopefully she knows who she is and knows how much he enjoyed spending time with her!

Hanging out after breakfast...

Milk Dreams...

Just because it's cute. 

Sleeping soundly... 

Just a happy boy!

So there are you are, some token pics to keep a smile on your face, too!  I expect you'll see a follow up post on the two month celebration.  I warn you now.  Get ready for an explosion of cuteness!

To sign off, Axel will serenade you in hiccups. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Two steps forward, one step back...

Feeding

He's here!!!